An eligible teacher can deduct up to $250 ($500 if you are married and are filing jointly and your spouse is an educator) on any classroom supplies. These could books, office supplies like paper and pencils, classroom organization needs and school tech like classroom laminators and computers.
What makes you an eligible teacher?
- You are a kindergarten through grade 12:
- Principal, or
- Aide, and
- Learn more at the IRS
How to manage your deduction
- The guidelines are broad, just as long as your purchases are meant for the classroom and are useful for your students.
- You can’t deduct expenses for which you were reimbursed. Your expenses have to be out of pocket.
- Be aware these deductions are subject to the 2% limit on itemized deductions—this means you can only deduct the amount that exceeds 2% of your AGI.(adjusted gross income)
- Keep all your purchase receipts for tax time.